Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Insane and insensitivity

Jane Austin wrote "Sense and Sensiblity". I believe one need not be a Jane Austin to write "Insane and Insenstivity", given the disgusting incidents happening these days. I am talking about the Merut epidsode where the cops slapped the couples in the parks. The news was in the headlines yesterday evening and there were protests all around the country to suspend the policemen. Rightly so, I thought. I still do not understand how the cops could go on a slapping spree like that. What were the couples doing after all? If they were just spending sometime in the park, what was wrong in that? Is that a crime? Is that the way Police treat the youth? This makes me wonder if we are really living in a civilised world. Luckily, the couple that went missing yesterday have returned home. Thank God!

Later, I came know that this disgusting act also as a name. Operation Majnu!Operation Majnu, codenamed after two star-crossed lovers, Laila and Majnu was meant to be an effort by the Meerut police force to crack-down on the eveteasers. But then the Police ended up punishing even married couples. Even if the police were to punish college going males ( now I feel the term "eve-teasers" is relative. How can one decide on that unless of course the victim complains), was this the way to treat them? That now raises an interesting issue. Should there be moral policing at all ? Are we mature enough to away with any kind of moral policing ? I wish this was a News channel and I was asking this question to the junta. What would the opinion of the majority be in this case?

No comments: