Monday, January 30, 2006

Yuva calling

At last, it has happened, and it has happened in a big way. I am talking about "Paritrana", the pet project of some of the IIT alumni. This time the pet project is not a company nor it is an NGO organization but it is a political party. Can you believe it? It is a political party, a political party consisting of 5 IITians. After playing reel heroes in movies like Yuva and Nayak, politicians at last will be real-life heroes.

Optimism? Hype? Expectations? I have already been warned by my friends and colleagues for expecting too much. Politics as many feel is like mud.. You try to play around with it and clean it but finally you end up getting dirty. And there seems to be no way out. The harder you try to clean it , the dirtier you get. Hmmmmm may that's true... but I don't want to think any further. I am happy that someone has thought of starting a political party leaving behind their fat salaries. The "thought" I feel is more important than anything else . Someone has dared to tread in this direction and I hope they change the current perception about politics. The optimist in me tells me that Indian politics is going to change for the better while history reminds me that IITians have usually been among the successful ones in the world.( whatever may be their cause).

Meanwhile, the country's politics continues to be in a mess. Congress is thrown out of power thanks to the former Prime minister's son H.D. Kumaraswamy. The father on his part like a " true politician " ( I hope the definition will change) keeps making contrasting statements. First he says that his son staging a political upheaval is the saddest incident of his life and just as we are about to digest that statement he announces that "his son has saved the government". No wonder then that "Politics" is still a joke. Many congress workers wanted Rahul Gandhi to take some responsible post in the party. Apart from the obvious reasons, I assumed that one of the reasons was the fact that they wanted "Young blood" to take charge. I "ass"umed and hence had to pay- making an ass out of myself. The reshuffling of the Cabinet happened yesterday and there is no sign of anything associated with "youth".

I am sure there are many like me waiting for "political" scenario in India to change. But for the moment let's just wait and sigh oops see.

No comments: